Creating N8Flix: A Netflix clone with Plex
A cloud solution for cord cutters who are fed up with all the pains of watching Movies & TV at home.¹
- 100% commercial and ad free.
- Totally in the cloud. No hardware to maintain.
- A potentially limitless library of TV shows & Movies.
- Watch anywhere. Anytime.
- Virtually no impact on your broadband data caps.
- Minimal broadband speed needed for setup and viewing.
What We're Building
- A globally accessible Plex Media Server
- A fully automated TV & Movie processing server behind a private VPN.
NOTE: These will be running in the cloud, not on your home network or devices.
What It Will Cost
- (1) An Amazon Cloud Drive account - Unlimited Storage) (~$60/yr)
- (2) Two Virtual Private Servers (~$35/mon)
- I recommend using Scaleway VPSes
- 1 VC1L (~$10/mon)
- 1 C2L (~$25/mon)
- (1) A private VPN subscription
- I recommend Private Internet Access (~$40/yr)
- (1) Usenet account
- I recommend Newshosting.com - Unlimited Pkg (~$155/yr)
*** UPDATE: There is a one time cost of a newsbin indexer. It varies by indexer. I recommend nzbgeek.info ~$30 lifetime.
Final cost is $675/yr or $56/mon. Prices are current as of 1/1/2017
If the above figure doesn't scare you, continue reading.
What Skills Do I Need?
1. The ability to "Google" anything you don't understand
2. General knowledge of the *nix command line
3. An internet connected pc
4. An attention to detail
5. Strong copy/paste abilities
OK. You're ready to get started.
Continue on to Creating N8Flix: Part II - The Processing Server
¹ The author of this post is not responsible for or recommending any illegal activities that readers might attempt as a result. This is simply an educational and theoretical exercise.